saying "ah" for "awe"

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIO.EDU
Sat Sep 30 17:05:16 UTC 2006

No, I'm sure he means 'ah' substituted for 'awe'--now widespread in the
mid-region of the East and virtually everywhere west of the
Mississippi.  And the North is not uniform anymore either: Minnesota is
mainly ah-pronouncing now (admittedly west of the Mississippi, but
'awe'-pronouncing under Northeast influence until 20-30 years ago).  For
merger people, the phoneme represented by 'awe' simply no longer exists;
Jon's students and mine mean it when they say they can't hear it!  So
there's no "phonic form consistency"; and consider to/too/two,
there/their/they're, etc. etc. when you object to the creation of "words
that sound alike but are spelled differently."  And no, it's not a fad;
mergers (almost never) unmerge.

(Jonathan, I know you were funning with Tom on the 'substitution'
issue--but don't confuse a newcomer!  And I see you've already clarified
your joke, but I'll send this anyway, just to add a bit more to what Ron said.)

Beverly