Google to translate text untouched by human hands.

Dennis Baron debaron at UIUC.EDU
Sun Apr 1 01:41:02 UTC 2007

There's a new post on the
Web of Language:

"Google to translate text untouched by human hands."

Google, the company that became a household word by searching
websites without actually reading them, wants to translate text
untouched by human hands, or by the human voice. It is working on a
program that will translate a text instantly into any language.
Unlike translation machines that must be programmed to recognize both
grammar and vocabulary in order to translate anything, Google’s e-
translator requires no linguistic knowledge at all. ... The computer
won't be distracted by the meaning of a word.  Instead, it will
determine that certain words are statistically more likely to occur
with other words.....

Of course, not too many texts don’t turn on nuance and style.  Laws
and contracts, formulaic though some of their language may be, are
subject to endless disputes over interpretation.  Business documents
have to be exact in any language.  Religious texts, often purporting
to be the divine word made clear and manifest, spark debates that
steer quickly away from polite to warlike.  .... Even apparently
obvious meanings turn out to be subtle and slippery.  The shopping
list is a good example.  Simple strings of words like “bread, milk,
cereal, some fruit if it looks nice, something for Wednesday?” seem
to be totally forthright, but they too turn out to be heavily coded:
what kind of bread? wheat or rye? Wonder Bread or 27-grain?...  One
person’s “nice fruit” is another’s “you know I don’t eat that.”  And
what’s supposed to be happening on Wednesday? ...
We will all look forward to the Googler’s debut, but I for one won’t
be surprised if the translations that it produces become the fodder
for jokes and parodies or lawsuits in the same way that we make fun
of or litigate the many mistranslations generated by humans.  At
least the machines won’t come away with hurt feelings when we laugh
at them.  Wait, machines don’t have feelings yet, do they?

Read all about the Googler on the
Web of Language

read it, enjoy it, comment on it --  www.uiuc.edu/goto/weboflanguage

Dennis Baron