The new "evangelism"

Karl Hagen karl at POLYSYLLABIC.COM
Sun Apr 1 16:06:31 UTC 2007

This evangelism isn't all that new. It dates to at least 1983, when
Apple Computer created jobs with this title.

See Guy Kawasaki, Selling the Dream (1992), p, 6:

"Mike Murray, the Macintosh Division director of marketing, first
applied evangelism to Macintosh in mid-1983 when he created jobs for
people he called "software evangelists."

Kawasaki was one of Apple's early evangelists, so he is a fairly
authoritative source.

The same book contrasts evangelism with propaganda in exactly the way
you suspect. It's all about spreading the good news by people who are
passionately committed to a product.