"vaccine"

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Mon Apr 2 12:22:15 UTC 2007

Dave, that's a lucid statement of how vaccination works. I was just giving my impression that traditionally the WORDS referring to vaccination have not been used (by the general public, at least) for treatments applied to advanced stages of a disease.

Surveying the dictionaries that happen to lie nearby: ". . . in order to prevent" (Webster"s New World Dictionary, "College Edition," 2nd ed., 1984; "vaccinate"). ". . . to prevent a disease" (Random House Webster's College Dictionary, 1996; "vaccine"). ". . . in order to protect against" (American Heritage Dictionary, New College Edition, 1981; "vaccination"). ". . . to produce or artificially increase immunity" (Webster's Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary, 1983; "vaccine").

Some of those definitions sound less exclusively "preventive" than others. Certainly vaccination is routine not only prior to exposure but also shortly after exposure--though generally, still, before symptoms of the full-blown disease appear?

--Charlie