Earlier Known Usage of "Sod"

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Mon Apr 2 23:39:49 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2 Apr 2007, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

>  This printing practice (if widespread) might have encouraged shortening
> in speech.  Here is the earliest Old Bailey ex., from 1814 :
>
>  http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/facsimiles/1810s/181407060006.html
>
>  "_A_....The other man, I saw the blow coming, I stooped my head, and in stooping
> I fell. Ashton directly collared me; he called me a b - y sod, and said he would take me to the guard-house.
>  "_Q._ He called you a sod; did you know what he meaned by that expression - _A_. I know now; I did not at that time. He said he would take me to the guard-house."

Maybe this 1810 citation I sent to OED some years ago is the earliest:

1810 William Beckford in Rictor Norton _Mother Clap's Molly House_ (1992)
226  Poor sods -- what a fine ordeal, what a procession, what a
pilgrimage, what a song and dance, what a rosary!

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Collections and     YALE BOOK OF QUOTATIONS
   Access and Lecturer in Legal Research     Yale University Press
Yale Law School                             ISBN 0300107986