Guard-house" once = "jail / gaol"?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Apr 3 00:17:26 UTC 2007

I agree with Jon that the citations do not distinguish the two
senses.  As for a prison, might it have been used in that way only
for military personnel?

In my reading of 18th c. colonial newspapers, and a little of other
writings of the same time and place, I do not recall
"guard-house".  There is gaol, goal, and prison, and bridewell.

Joel