Book Review: LA Times -- re 'the N word'

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Apr 3 02:06:28 UTC 2007

Actually, he said, "I know what chitterlings are." He asked me about
the ethnicity of his name, [Something]owski, and I told him that it
was Polish. When he came to work the next day, he said that he had
told his father what I'd said and the old man had gone up in smoke,
claiming that the family was of PRUSSIAN ancestry, NOT Polish! The
poor kid didn't know enough about Central European history to be able
to tell me whether his dad meant the original Baltic Prussians or the
later German "Prussians."

I made a point of suggesting to 'Ski that he not bother his father
with this basically unaswerable question.

-Wilson

-----