Earlier Known Usage of "Sod"

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at NETSCAPE.COM
Tue Apr 3 18:25:44 UTC 2007

I doubt this is useful, but the song (folk song?  it is sometimes attributed to Rudyard Kipling) "The Bastard King of England" has these lines

    He loved to hunt the Royal stag
    Within the Royal wood
    But better than this
    He loved the bliss
    Of pulling the Royal pud.
    <snip>
    So he offered half the royal purse
    And the hole of Queen Hortense
    To any sod
    Who'd bring him the rod
    And the nuts of the King of France

The context makes it clear that "rod" and "nuts" are strictly anatomical references.

OT:  re "chitterlings"   _The Stars at Noon_ (1954 edition) by Jacqueline Cochran, who is white, describes how she was familiar with chitterlings from her childhood, which was in company towns owned by lumber companies.  Presumably the other whites in the company towns were equally familiar.

aside to Wilson Gray: I never heard "slick-sleeve" meaning "E-1" before, probably because I made deuce out of Basic and was in a head shed unit that didn't have many under-fours in it.

     - Jim Landau