Safire/NY Times (request re "grab ahold) (fwd)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Apr 3 20:41:24 UTC 2007

What about "aloose," as in "get aloose," which is just as grammatical
as "get ahold / get aholt" for me? OED Online has "aloose" only as an
obsolete verb.

-Wilson

On 4/2/07, Charles Doyle <cdoyle at uga.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Charles Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Safire/NY Times (request re "grab ahold) (fwd)
>
> I look forward to Arnold's detailed and interesting response. In the meantime, however, I wonder why the Safire staffer didn't look up "ahold" in the OED?
>
> --Charlie

-----
                                                      -Sam'l Clemens

Dope wil get you through times of no money better than money will get
you through times of no dope.
-----
                                         -Free-Wheeling Franklin