Hi!

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Apr 4 13:24:19 UTC 2007

Well said, Jerry. I wish I could have expressed it so well. "Gross and gratuitous" indeed.

  I hope that the urbane and knowledgeable  Dr. Gray is chuckling to himself and shaking his head over "little kids today."  Any other reaction would be a waste of energy.

   JL

"Cohen, Gerald Leonard" <gcohen at UMR.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: "Cohen, Gerald Leonard"
Subject: Re: Hi!

This is stating the obvious, but here goes. Wilson Gray is some 50 years the senior of the young woman who so grossly and gratuitously insulted him. He has had a very wide range of life experiences and a keen interest in language, and his extensive ads-l postings over the years have been of enormous benefit to numerous word researchers. On occasion I have published his work and have been honored to do so.

He is one of the finest people I have been privileged to be in contact with.

Gerald Cohen
Professor of Foreign Languages
Editor, Comments on Etymology
University of Missouri-Rolla