Antedating of "Postmodern"

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Wed Apr 4 17:58:36 UTC 2007

On Tue, 3 Apr 2007, James Harbeck wrote:

> Wow! Is there context to make it clear what in particular the author
> is referring to with post-modern? Is there any consistency with its
> later application? Can we trace any clear connection, or is it an
> independent neologism?

The nature of this term (a term constructed from basic elements) is such
that it was undoubtedly independently invented many times and applied
inconsistently.  In fact, I wrote an article in _American Speech_ a few
years ago about the history of _post-modern_ that makes clear the multiple
independent inventions.

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Collections and     YALE BOOK OF QUOTATIONS
   Access and Lecturer in Legal Research     Yale University Press
Yale Law School                             ISBN 0300107986