assorted comments

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 6 18:27:18 UTC 2007

Good point, Margaret! Thank you for the reminder. [Warning: anecdote follows.]

Back in 1973, at the LSA Summer Linguistic Institute at Michigan, I
met a Quebecoise named "Elise Piquette." (BTW, Larry, didn't we meet
at this same LI?) After we became acquainted, she told me that her
grandmother had, by coincidence, actually met Wilson Pickett, one
time, when he was in Quebec City for a concert. They chatted, and
chuckled over the fact that they, who shared a surname but who came
from such different backgrounds, should have met.

"Shared a _surname_"? Eh? I didn't get it. Oh, Elise went on to
explain, her generation was the first to frenchify the family name as
"Piquette." Theretofore, the family had retained its original
Anglo-Saxon name of "Pickett." Okay, now I got it. Then, for no
particular reason, I asked her what her father's name was. She
replied, "Orville Pickett," pronouncing it in the ordinary,
North-American-English manner.

I was barely able to keep a straight face. All these years later, I'm
still asking myself: "'Orville Pickett'?! What kind of name is that
for a nice, French-Canadian boy?!"

-Wilson