Pontius "Pie Late"; prolific

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Apr 6 18:43:11 UTC 2007

At 1:12 PM -0400 4/6/07, Jesse Sheidlower wrote:
>On Fri, Apr 06, 2007 at 10:07:20AM -0700, Arnold M. Zwicky wrote:
>>  On Apr 6, 2007, at 5:20 AM, Jon Lighter wrote:
>>
>>  >...  On the same show, an FBI spokesman explained that the fugitive
>>  >from yesterday's New Jersey shooting is "prolific and dangerous."
>>  >Wha ?  He's likely to have more criminal kids before he's caught ?
>>
>>  malaprops (of all types) tend to induce bewilderment in me.  what was
>>  the right target word here?
>
>I don't think this is a malapropism, just an extended use. If
>prolific authors write a lot of books, so too must prolific
>criminals commit a lot of crimes. (Or whatever; I don't know
>about the criminal in question, but I'm better that he does a
>lot of something.)

Or perhaps his principal target was abortion providers (he wouldn't
be the first), and the FBI spokesman figured "pro(-)lific" was the
appropriate adjective...

LH

P.S.  Arggh--luckily I checked my mailer before sending this off, so
now after seeing that Charlie beat me to the punch (coyses, Doyled
again!!) I send it off as an illustration of GMTingA.