"As far as . . ."

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Fri Apr 6 19:21:14 UTC 2007

Have we (i.e. on this list) discussed the use of unresolved "as far as"--such as exemplified by Larry's sentence quoted below? That is, introductory "as far as" without "is concerned" or "goes" or the like occurring later in the phrasing? Is the construction somewhat new (like a couple decades)? Does that use of "as far as" derive, historically, from a confusion with "as for"?  I hear and read the construction all the time, and I no longer find it objectionable--but I DO still notice it!

--Charlie