Pontius "Pie Late"; prolific

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Apr 6 19:27:56 UTC 2007

More likely he belongs to an Irish organization working to protect the major waterway that flows through Dublin.  The spokesman was sophisticated enough to include the now somewhat old-fashioned "-ic" suffix.

  I didn't catch the entire story, but if the above explanation is rejected, my second hunch is that the spokesman meant something like "resourceful." Jesse may be correct; but why not just say "a career criminal" ? (Oh...right !)

  The "perp" is a bank-robber.

  JL

Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Laurence Horn
Subject: Re: Pontius "Pie Late"; prolific

At 1:12 PM -0400 4/6/07, Jesse Sheidlower wrote:
>On Fri, Apr 06, 2007 at 10:07:20AM -0700, Arnold M. Zwicky wrote:
>> On Apr 6, 2007, at 5:20 AM, Jon Lighter wrote:
>>
>> >... On the same show, an FBI spokesman explained that the fugitive
>> >from yesterday's New Jersey shooting is "prolific and dangerous."
>> >Wha ? He's likely to have more criminal kids before he's caught ?
>>
>> malaprops (of all types) tend to induce bewilderment in me. what was
>> the right target word here?
>
>I don't think this is a malapropism, just an extended use. If
>prolific authors write a lot of books, so too must prolific
>criminals commit a lot of crimes. (Or whatever; I don't know
>about the criminal in question, but I'm better that he does a
>lot of something.)

Or perhaps his principal target was abortion providers (he wouldn't
be the first), and the FBI spokesman figured "pro(-)lific" was the
appropriate adjective...

LH

P.S. Arggh--luckily I checked my mailer before sending this off, so
now after seeing that Charlie beat me to the punch (coyses, Doyled
again!!) I send it off as an illustration of GMTingA.