Usage of 'Nexis' is Baffling

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Sat Apr 7 15:19:58 UTC 2007

What's baffling? It's just a misspelling of "nexus," possibly influenced by
the name of the Lexis-Nexis research service.

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of
Doug Harris
Sent: Saturday, April 07, 2007 7:50 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Usage of 'Nexis' is Baffling

Does anyone understand what the author of this letter, published in today
Sacramento Bee, meant in her use of the word 'nexis'? Come to that, is nexis
a word? Unfortunately, I don't have access to some of the reference sources
some of you do, and I've been unable to find any reference that begins to
shed a light on this. The reference is in the second paragraph. I've omitted
the remainder of the letter is irrelevant.
(the other) doug

Get the drunks off the roads

Re "Driver in crash appears in court," April 4: Victims of drunken drivers
are dying at an alarming rate. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to realize
current anti drunken-driving laws have little or no deterrent value. And
while hardly a week goes by that we don't see the victim's families crying,
holding each other and wondering out loud why the driver was driving while
drunk, Californians should not expect the Legislature to enact
anti-drunken-driving laws with significant deterrent value.

What's fascinating to me on this issue and so many others involving the
safety and security of California families is that there doesn't appear to
be any nexis between these tragic deaths and families destroyed and the
voting patterns in every election.