"entomology" = etymology or linguistics; "heresay"

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Sun Apr 8 00:02:58 UTC 2007

Fred Shapiro wrote:
> My article in American Speech, "Etymology of the Computer _Bug_: History
> and Folklore," which has become well known through being mentioned in the
> entry for _bug_ in the Jargon File and the Hacker's Dictionary, is
> referred to in those sources and web sites based on them as "Entomology of
> the Computer _Bug_."

On alt.folklore.urban, and probably other newsgroups, deliberate
confusion of etymology and entomology is frequent. It's right up there
with veracious/voracious and Austria/Australia.

Alice Faber
faber at haskins.yale.edu
Haskins Laboratories                                  tel: (203)
865-6163 x258
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                                     fax (203)
865-8963