Rank-sounding names?

GLL guy1656 at OPUSNET.COM
Sun Apr 8 20:31:46 UTC 2007

:   Also... a parent of one of my wife's kindergarten kids in the Bronx a few
: years ago gave her first born the first name 'Admiral'. Her second born was
: named 'General'. I believe, but can't swear to it, that they were named
: after specific officers. Admirable as was her intent, one has to imagine
: that, in the general school population, both those kids have suffered no
: end of ribbing.

One guy I worked with told of a man named Kernal with a surname of Dunn.
He enlisted, and eventually made lieutenant. He asked how he was to answer the
phone, and was told 'same as always - rank, first name, last name.' That was
amended to 'rank, last name.' immediately after the first time he answered a
telephone.