accusative cursing

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Apr 11 15:22:45 UTC 2007

At 9:25 PM -0400 4/10/07, James C Stalker wrote:
>Laurence Horn writes:
>

>>a.k.a. "nekkid"?
>>
>If you wish, but since it isn't a real word, who cares about the spelling?

Not a real word?  "nekkid" has 822,000 raw google hits.  That doesn't
necessarily make it a real word, but it does seem to suggest it's a
real semi-standardized variant of one (cf. "purty", "nucular").  We
need the double -k- in "nekkid" (rather than spelling it "nekid") to
denote ['nEkId] rather than either ['nE(y)kId] (= the standard
pronunciation of "naked") or ['nIkId] (the standard pronounciation of
"knee-kid").

LH