some jazzy cites

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 11 19:33:50 UTC 2007

In jazz, "chops" has applied to the embouchure of the player of any
wind instrument whatsoever, at least since the late 'Forties, when
this corespondent blew 'gator tail in his elementary-school band.

-Wilson

On 4/10/07, Mullins, Bill AMRDEC <Bill.Mullins at us.army.mil> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Mullins, Bill AMRDEC" <Bill.Mullins at US.ARMY.MIL>
> Subject:      some jazzy cites
>
> OED on "chops":
> =20
> chop, n.2
> =20
> In pl. Jazz (orig. U.S.).    a. The power of a trumpeter's embouchure.=20
> =20
> 1947 in R. S. Gold Jazz Talk (1975) 48 He might not have the chops he used =
> to have, but his ideas are always fine. 1966 L. ARMSTRONG Self-Portrait 40 =
> I'd go wild in those solos -- up there in the high register all the time, a=
> nd if I had some more chops left, just use 'em some more. 1993 Newsweek 18 =
> Jan. 39 Others would've killed to have his [sc. Dizzy Gillespie's] chops.
> =20
> =20
>    b. A jazz musician's skills; (in extended use) talent or skill in any fi=
> eld.=20
> =20
> 1968 in A. Chapman New Black Voices 147 Maybe you could get your chops toge=
> ther on this horn. 1973 'D. ELLINGTON' Music is my Mistress 247 Musicians..=
> who like to get together once or twice a week to try out their chops. 1990 =
> Boston Phoenix 27 Apr.-3 May PLS9/2 Most academic writers just don't have t=
> he chops to make riveting reading out of the quiltwork of 19th-century farm=
>  wives. 2003 Sunday Herald (Glasgow) 29 June (Review) 4/1 It was a comic ro=
> le, but one that required serious acting chops.
> =20
> Sense a:
> "Satchmo Will Keep Blowing Till 'I Can't Blow No Mo' " by John Hoerr
> _Dallas Morning News_ 1959-07-31 > Sec: 1 Page 12  col 2.
> " "And there wasn't nothing wrong with my chops or my voice like the doctor=
> s said," Louis rasped."=20
> =20
> =20
> =20
> Sense b: Extended Use (in reference to acting skills):
> =20
> "Harriet Nelson in Dramatic Role," Oakland (CA) _Tribune_, 8/29/1976, p. 3 =
> col 4.
> "She was asked whether it had been hard to get her acting chops back in sha=
> pe for  the far stronger emoting required for her ABC movie role."
> =20
> =20
> Extended Use (in reference to sleight of hand skills):
> "Fist Full O' Washers" by Michael Close, _Genii_  July 1984, p. 522 col 1. =
> [note: the writer, Michael Close, is a jazz pianist as well as a magician]
> "This trick is not for the faint of "chops" however, and a familiarity with=
>  Vernon's "Spellbound" and Ross Bertram's "Ten to One" (Magic and Methods o=
> f Ross Bertram, pp. 24-25) will facilitate learning this routine."
> =20
> =20
> =20
> [...]

-----
                                                      -Sam'l Clemens

"Experience" is the ability to recognize a mistake when you make it, again.