OED & Jigaboo

Wed Apr 11 20:03:24 UTC 2007

Maybe those in our list from the UK can fill us in, but when I lived
there in 1973-85, "Jewess" was decidedly UNcool, at least in the
sense of "old-fashioned", with overtones (at least) of racism.

While soliciting info from the Britishers on our list, what's the
pronunciation of the Oxfordshire Islip that the Long Island town is
named after?  "ice-lip", "Eyes-lip" or something else?   I lived at
the opposite end of the UK, so I don't know.

Paul