Overdriving

sagehen sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM
Thu Apr 12 03:02:54 UTC 2007

>I can't even _imagine_ what might be meant by this, from
>an Ithaca NY police report via the 04/10 Binghamton Press
>& Sun Bulletin:
>"Atkind, a 23-year-old Cornell University student
>from the Boston area, is accused of beating a dog
>on or about March 8 and pouring bleach on it,
>leaving it with diminished eyesight for life.
>HE IS CHARGED WITH overdriving, TORTURING AND
>INJURING ANIMALS in violation of state [law]."
>--
>What in the world does "overdriving" mean in this
>context?? My only thought is that he perhaps ran
>over the dog with a vehicle, but the story doesn't
>mention that having happened.
>(the other) doug

My WAG would be that "overdrive" -- do cars have this feature any more? --
a  fourth, higher, gear than the standard three (forward),  also often
included free wheeling,  might, by extension, be used to mean "spinning out
of control." Whether spinning out of control is a chargeable offense is
another matter.......!
AM