accusative cursing

James C Stalker stalker at MSU.EDU
Fri Apr 13 03:20:30 UTC 2007

The dialect/language question is indeed a thorny one: do we define
languages/dialects linguistically, sociolinguistically, or politically?
Presumably Scots and Irish are now languages. not variations of English,
because the EU said they are. I can live with that.

However, I have lots of experience with an unacceptable dialect.  Briefly, I
dropped my first lingustics class at UNC-Chapel Hill because I got tired of
the linguistic anthropologists, New Yorkers and Carolinians, making fun of
my KY dialect.  I was chosen to be the informant so they could practice
their phonetic/phonemic transcription.  I was the unusual dialect, hence the
informant, and the butt of their linguistic predjudics.  So much for
cultural sensitivity among anthropological linguists.

When I then went to Wisconsin, I was again derided for my "mush in the
mouth" language, coupled with the usual cultural slurs, "don't you find
students up here smarter than Southern students?" "Came north to get an
education, huh?"  So I adopted heir dialect and dropped mine.  It was easier
than trying to educate them.  Don't tell me my KY dialect wasn't
unacceptable.

I handled it by adapting.  I think Dennis handled it in his usual "in your
face" approach.   You also might look at his research on dialect judgments,
or is that judgements?

I assume certain presuppositions on this website, among them, we all know
that all dialects/communicative systems are functional in their environmnts;
that not all dialects/communicative systems are functional out of their
native contexts; that we accept all variations of any language with
equaniminity and do not judge their value, but that not everyone follows our
enlightened lead.  I give you Imus as exhibit #1.  And, that speakers of a
particular type of English are often aware of the judgments made about their
dialect/communicative system.

I use, and prefer, the term Conventional Plublic English, rather than
Standard English, because, of course, there are no language standards, just
lots of opinions, and opinions influence conventions, but not standards.
Labov's, Wolfram's and Trudgill's research indicates that phonetic changes
work up rather than down suggests that conventions, not standards, are
altered from below.  Have you looked at your son's pants lately?

JCS

James C. Stalker
Department of English
Michigan State University