Query for Charlie-nim

sagehen sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM
Sat Apr 14 01:18:28 UTC 2007

>Are y'all familiar with the term that's pronounced something like
>"tee-NINE-shee"? It means "very small" and is used instead of
>"itty-bitty" or "teeny-tiny." When I was in the Army, I heard this
>used by Texans of all races, creeds, and colors from all over the
>state. I learned it from my mother and my grandmother - I hated any
>story that  began, "Whin yew wuh jes' a tee-nine-shee baby ..." Until
>my Army days, I was under the impression that this word was peculiar
>to the women in my family. You can imagine my shock when I first heard
>it fall tripppingly from the tongue of a white farm boy from Mundy,
>Texas. Later, I heard it used by GI's from Weslaco, Dallas, Odessa,
>Midland, Tyler, Galveston, etc., etc. But that was fifty years ago.
>
>So, I was wondering whether any y'all were familiar with this term? Is
>it peculiar to Texas or is it also used elsewhere?
>
>-Wilson
 ~~~~~~~~~
I don't know this one at all, but it strongly suggests to me the kind of
secret language kids develop -- like pig latin, but more elaborate -- to
baffle peers & parents, that are simply english with transposed letters,
added syllables, &c.  One of my kids used to carry on rapid, animated
conversations with her closest buddies in one of these.  I never did twig
to the key, though I knew the technique.  Tiny could easily become
tee-nine-shee with such treatment.
AM