accusative cursing

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Apr 14 01:48:02 UTC 2007

Interesting to me is the relationship between double consonants and stress.
If a double consonant were to be used to indicate stress in a phonetic
spelling system, should it come before or after the stressed vowel.  I take
for example desert and dessert.  So I would believe the best place for a
double consonant to indicate stress is before the stressed vowel.

So it would be ~nekid for "naked" instead of ~nekkid (which would be
indicating stress on the last syllable).

See truespel.com and the 4 truespel books at authorhouse.com.

>From: James C Stalker <stalker at MSU.EDU>
>To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
>Subject: Re: accusative cursing
>Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 23:59:38 -0400

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       James C Stalker <stalker at MSU.EDU>
>Subject:      Re: accusative cursing
>
>Ok.  So I guess 58,700 "nekid" hits loses.  Not only do I have
>unconventional English pronunciation, I have unconvetional spelling of
>unconventional English.  Google prompted me with "do you mean nekkid?"
>Google and Larry are on the right side.
>
>I had not thought through my original question, which I now think is more
>complex.  Why do we have a particular alternate spelling for a given
>spelled
>word?  We have "nekkid" and "nekid."  LH suggests that we need the double K
>to indicate the higher mid front tense glided vowel, and that single K
>indicates the lower lax nonglided mid front vowel.  I'm not sure about
>that.
>We can look at doublets, which is what started all of this: beckon/bacon
>(with the interesting twist that Patty Loveless sings "beckoning" as
>"baconing"); trek/track, trekking/tracking; tech/tek.  A small body of
>data,
>but a set that suggests that K does not determine the preceding vowel.  If
>we look a probablistics studies pf spelling, such as Early Reading
>Instruction: What Science Really Tells Us about How to Teach Reading By
>Diane
>McGuinnesshttp://books.google.com/books?id=geCphXcHm30C&pg=PA46&lpg=PA46&dq=
>english+spelling+probability&source=web&ots=9VR0Y8gT9e&sig=Y_nQGmmUaPEVhKBMv
>eE7uG2Gr4E#PPP1,M1 and Robert Hall, Sounds and Spelling in English), we can
>come the conclusion that the vowel spelling is the determiner;
>probilistically, a give us /ey/; e gives us /e/, so naked will produce /ey/
>as the vowel and /e/ will produce /e/ as the vowel.
>
>I woudl submit that the "ekk" spelling is a sociolinguistic respelling:
>accurate vowel (unconventional), inaccurate spelling (nonstandard).  We
>really want you to know that these folks are ignornant.  They not only
>can't
>talk, they can't spell!
>
>Unfortunately, I no longer have students so I can't test this hypothesis on
>them, but I'll try to tackle my neighbors to check it out.
>
>JCS
>
>Laurence Horn writes:

> >> If you wish, but since it isn't a real word, who cares about the
> >> spelling?
> >
> > Not a real word?  "nekkid" has 822,000 raw google hits.  That doesn't
> > necessarily make it a real word, but it does seem to suggest it's a
> > real semi-standardized variant of one (cf. "purty", "nucular").  We
> > need the double -k- in "nekkid" (rather than spelling it "nekid") to
> > denote ['nEkId] rather than either ['nE(y)kId] (= the standard
> [...]

Can’t afford to quit your job? – Earn your AS, BS, or MS degree online in 1
year.
http://www.classesusa.com/clickcount.cfm?id=866145&goto=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.classesusa.com%2Ffeaturedschools%2Fonlinedegreesmp%2Fform-dyn1.html%3Fsplovr%3D866143