"tail-doved"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sat Apr 14 04:20:07 UTC 2007

At 4/13/2007 11:58 PM, you wrote:
>Joel S. Berson wrote:
>>  From http://www.regiments.org/wars/18thcent/39jenkin.htm#chronology
>>
>>1743    conflict in the West Indies tail-doved into
>>the War of the Austrian Succession as Britain became involved
>
>How, if at all, is this related to "dove-tailed"?

Ah!  I didn't think of that -- everyone else
writes that the War of Jenkins' Ear "merged" into
the War of the Austrian Succession, which was
called King George's War in America.  Although
"dove-tail" isn't the best word for this.

On the other hand, the preceding entries in this
chronology list the British military failures of
1741-42, so I thought "dove" as in "sank".

Joel