Skin In The Game

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Apr 16 14:59:33 UTC 2007

At 10:29 AM -0400 4/16/07, Doug Harris wrote:
>Sorry, I _meant_ to say cricket, not soccer.
>--
>Still, the original meaning is a long way from the usage being
>applied today. Not that that's uncommon, but by taking the hat
>(award) away, one removes the 'value' of the cliché, such as it
>is.
>And one of the dumbest things about the use (as in the hockey
>situation) of a term such as this is that, so far as I know,
>little effort is ever made to explain its meaning, in context,
>to readers of or listeners to sports reports.
>------------

But the meaning of "score/get a hat trick" is
'make three goals in the same game', and what
you're referring to would constitute explaining
the origin of the term and not its meaning.  We
don't castigate those who use "kick the bucket"
for failing to explain the origin that relates
kicking and buckets to death, or "spill the
beans", or whatever.  Ditto in the sports context
for "grand slam" (in baseball, as opposed to
contract bridge).

LH