change from the bottom up was re: accusative cursing

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Tue Apr 17 13:58:22 UTC 2007

Hmmm...I like CPE; however I wonder if my students will be more
confused if I use that while our Longman's Writer's Companion uses
SWE.

I'm much more interested by the "phonetic changes work up" statement.
I've run across a similar analysis relating to slang terms entering
the language in a chapter in _Slam Dunks & No-Brainers_ where the
author argues that many slang terms work their way "up" from Black
Vernacular English into the dominant dialect. Being a newbie, I
wasn't sure if this was a consensus view in the field or not.

---Amy West