Railroad cart

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Wed Apr 18 12:30:43 UTC 2007

Gandy dancers are the men who work rhythmically in crews straightening and correctly spacing rails, which have moved slightly (i.e. significantly!) out of place from the force and vibrations of trains running on them.

"Hand car" or "hand cart" sounds right to me. But what were the motorized ones called? It's my recollection that they were still "hand car(t)s."

--Charlie