IMMORTAL. etc. -=- WAS Railroad cart

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Apr 20 03:02:42 UTC 2007

At 10:51 PM -0400 4/19/07, James C Stalker wrote:
>Your examples suggest that we need not look for an adverbial (or adverbially
>marked?) "lately."  The "lait King Henry" is exactly current usage.  In the
>1490 example, we have "swete and late" which suggests to me straight
>adjectiv(al) use, which in turn suggests that we maybe shouldn't be looking
>for syntactic shifts but semantic loss or narrowing?  But my ME
>syntactic(al) and lexical knowledge is indeed late, as is King Henry, so I
>cease speculation.
>
>JCS

My thought was not that "late" in this sense is derived not from the
adverb "lately", but as a narrowing/reanalysis of the (late)
adverbial use of "late" with the meaning of 'lately', which predates
the adjectival use of "late" meaning 'dead':

4. a. Recently, of late, lately; in recent times; not long since; but
now; not long (ago, before). Now only poet.
c1330 R. BRUNNE Chron. (1810) 149 He regnes after him, and late had e coroune.
c1340 Cursor M. 7917 (Trin.) Twey men were late in londe A pore and a
riche wononde.
1362 LANGL. P. Pl. A. III. 105 Ichaue a Kniht hette Conscience com
late from bi-onde.
1377 Ibid. B. XVI. 249, I herde seyne late Of a barne at [etc.].
c1400 Destr. Troy 4887 Noght leng sithen but late.
1470-85 MALORY Arthur XIV. viii, She asked hym yf he had ete ony mete
late. Nay madame truly I ete no mete nyghe this thre dayes.
1490 CAXTON Eneydos Prol. 1 A lytyl booke in frenshe, whiche late was
translated oute of latyn.
1513 MORE in Grafton Chron. (1568) II. 767 The great obloquy that he
was in so late before.
1530 PALSGR. 143 Naguayres, lately or late a go.
1592 SHAKES. Ven. & Ad. 1131 Their vertue lost, wherein they late exceld.

LH