flubadub

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 20 18:30:55 UTC 2007

It's Howdy-Doody Time!
Bob Smith and Howdy, too
Say "Howdy Do!" to you
Let's give a rousing cheer
'Cause Howdy-Doody's here
It's time to start the show
So, kids, let's go!

IIRC, Flubabub was always addressed as and referred to as "Flubadub"
and never as *"The"* "Flubadub." Not that it truly matters.

When I was a kid, "Howdy-Doody" was, at least in Saint Louis,
absolutely THE hippest show on TV, even taking into consideration
that, locally, it literally had no competition in its time slot, being
the first and *only* program to come on the air, right after the test
pattern on our single TV channel, during the school-week. Each
afternoon's show was reviewed - nay, relived! - on the following
school day in every high school in the area. Mr. Bluster, even though
he was the villain, was probably the most popular character at my high
school. Everybody loved to (try to) imitate his manner of speaking,
his bluster, so to speak. <har! har!>

-Wilson

On 4/20/07, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      flubadub
>
> HDAS has a 1975 and a 1978 for "flubadub," a "flubdub" variant infl. by the puppet "The Flubadub" on TV's _Howdy Doody Show_ who, in turn, was inspired by the "Flubdub," character created by Eugene Field.
>
>   1999  http://groups.google.com/group/nyc.transit/msg/736729fcc948dbcd (June 12) : The car steward...was a flubadub from the word go. He yelled at us, but in all Russian, which we did not understand.
>
>   JL

>  Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.

-----
                                                      -Sam'l Clemens

"Experience" is the ability to recognize a mistake when you make it again.