"step away from the X"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Apr 21 18:28:51 UTC 2007

At 9:41 AM -0400 4/21/07, James Harbeck wrote:
>Here's a lately popular idiom, started by "Step away from the
>vehicle," I'm pretty sure.

Yes, this is a definite meme or snowclone or whatever we're calling
them; crucial too is the intonation, which ideally approaches that of
a police officer enunciating clearly and forcefully, possibly through
a loudspeaker.  There's often a slight pause between "step" (with
unreleased [p], rather than the usual elision with the following
vowel) and a slight rise on "away"; someone with a better control of
the descriptive terminology could  do a better job of narrowing down
exactly what this intonation is.  This has been quite popular in
commercials.

LH