antedating?: "top dollar"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Apr 23 17:21:18 UTC 2007

The snippets frequently lack the cited text but not infrequently contain part of it or elethe tops or bottoms of the letters!

  As I never tire of quoting, research "with a Google twist !"

  JL

Jeff Prucher <jprucher at YAHOO.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Jeff Prucher
Subject: Re: antedating?: "top dollar"

--- Benjamin Zimmer wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: Benjamin Zimmer
> Subject: Re: antedating?: "top dollar"

> On 4/23/07, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
> >
> > OED has 1970, but Google Books cites an issue of _Trucking Business_ from
> > no later than 1964:
> >
> > "With all that work you put in... Why aren't you drawing top dollar?"
> >
> > Google Books asserts that the latest issue they scanned is from that year.
>
> Why would we believe anything Google Books asserts at this point?
> Searching on years in that volume of _Trucking Business_ finds
> references in nearby pages to a company's 1967 earnings and to
> industry projections for 1968. So 1967 seems a more likely bet.

Assuming that Google is actually searching in the same issue when you use
"search in this book", the issue might be March 1968:
http://tinyurl.com/yprsp2.
But I'm not at all convinced that this is a reasonable assumption, since I was
also able to find a header for Feb. 1968 by searching around in the same issue.

There is another hit in Trucking Business for "top dollar", which is given as
"... tri times were cut by as much as 10 per cen Across-the-board benefits to
the drive the fleet operator and his customer. Top-dollar ..." on the results
page. The snippet shown, however, does not include any relevant text. (What on
earth are they thinking?) That issue may be from 1967, but I've gotten headers
for both January and April of that year, so make of that what you will.

Jeff Prucher

http://mail.yahoo.com

 Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.