"beril" of a ship?

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Tue Apr 24 18:02:47 UTC 2007

What IS the distinction between "cask" and "barrel"? OED doesn't make one, referring to each in the definition of the other; yet they can't be ENTIRELY synonymous--can they?

In books from the 18th century and earlier, the spelling "beril" usually represents "beryl"--but that would obviously make no sense here!

For spellings of "barrel" the OED gives "4 barayl, 4-5 barele, 4-6 -ell(e, 4-7 -el, 5 barylle, 5-6 barrelle, 6 beryll, 6-7 barrell, 7- barrel."

The mystery persists . . . .

--Charlie