"beril" of a ship?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Apr 24 22:00:30 UTC 2007

A correspondent on another list has pointed out that "barrell" OED2
sense 5.a can refer to a capstan or windlass (c1500, 1611, and
mid-18th c.).  (I simply missed this when I looked at the OED,
although in extenuation there are no instances of the spelling
"beril*" under "barrel".)  So Charles Doyle was likely right.

Joel