Your write "Cartagena", I write "Carthagena" [was: "beril" of a ship?]

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Apr 26 14:53:14 UTC 2007

At 4/26/2007 08:54 AM, James Landau wrote:
>But there is a quaint spelling, namely "Carthagena" for "Cartagena".
>Not really incorrect, just quaint, being an English overcorrection of an
>apparently Latin name meaning "descended from Carthage", Cartagena
>having started out as a Carthaginian colony.

Not really quaint, but rather it's common in the 18th c.(also I see
later) to find the spelling "Carthagena" (the reference is to the
Spanish settlement in South America, not the city in Spain).  The
really quaint spelling is "Carthagene", because of which I missed
uncovering the earliest date of Smollett's "Account of the Expedition
Against ..." in several on-line library catalogs!

Joel