"Fall Guy" in William Safire's column

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Apr 29 03:28:38 UTC 2007

_http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/29/magazine/29wwlnsafire.t.html?ref=magazine_
(http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/29/magazine/29wwlnsafire.t.html?ref=magazine)
How much of an asshole is William Safire (and his assistant)?
A few weeks ago, Safire asked for pre-1904 citations of "fall guy." I
provided them right here on ADS-L. Safire surely knows about this--he's written
about ADS-L many times.
The topic for this Sunday's "On Language" column is "Fall Guy." A whole
bunch of crap is mentioned--everything EXCEPT my work.
Is it because my work comes with "Barry Popik" on it? Does he think, "Oh,
here's the guy who solved 'the Big Apple.' He thought someone like me would be
kind to him on The New York Times, because that's what I do! Ha!!  He provided
me his work with Gerald Cohen, and I ignored it for eight  years! Thanks to
me, the New York Times ignored him, too! Well, fuck him giving  his work for
free like that! 'Fall guy' comes from Barry Popik? We can't print  that!"
Really, how much of an asshole is William Safire?
Safire has said nice things recently about Grant Barrett, Fred  Shapiro, Jon
Lighter--just about everyone here, except me..
Why did I provide ADS-L with "fall guy" work? Why didn't I smash my goddamn
head in the wall?
Why must this stuff go on for 15 years?