more excrescent "'s"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Apr 29 21:53:30 UTC 2007

When I was in the first year of high school in 1950-51,, I had a
teacher who always used "How comes?" in place of "How come?" Howerver,
as an Ecuadorian, he had the excuse of not being a native speaker of
Engliah.

-Wilson

On 4/29/07, Arnold M. Zwicky <zwicky at csli.stanford.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Arnold M. Zwicky" <zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: more excrescent "'s"
>
> way back on Oct 12, 2006, at 7:42 AM, i wrote:
>
> > 1.  "how come's" corresponding to "how's come" 'how come'
> >
> > 2.  "what about's" corresponding to "what's about" 'what about'
> >
> > 3.  "what's if" 'what if'
> >
> > 4.  "how's to" 'how to'
>
> and now, noticed in The History Boys, "what's else".  hundreds of
> google webhits, including:
>
> What's else is missing in Kubuntu? You cannot post new topics in this
> forum ...
> www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=100225
>
> What's Else is For Dinner? A Healthy Start. For the first several
> weeks of life, all a lamb needs for nourishment is its mother's
> milk. ...
> www.sheep101.info/eating2.htm
>
> What's else is new in this version? DT file scanning capability with
> IQSMART3 scanners; 16-bit B/W gray gamma scanning mode; 16-bit B/W
> scanning mode ...
> graphics.kodak.com/global/product/ scanners/professional_scanners/
> oXYgen_LE_news
>
> What's else has been going on? The cutting back at Ashey Grounds has
> been receiving the attention of both ourselves (occasionally) and
> Rob's Razors. ...
> www.iwsteamrailway.co.uk/ pages/Civ_engineering/trk_2007.htm
>
> "Good food and good company, what's else could you ask for?"  [Boston
> Dining Out Meeup Group]
> diningout.meetup.com/311/?gj=sj5
>
> [some US, some UK/Ireland]
>
> arnold

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens
------
The tongue has no bones, yet it breaks bones.

                                           Rumanian proverb