eggcorns or... ?

Doug Harris cats22 at FRONTIERNET.NET
Sun Apr 29 21:56:17 UTC 2007

'Went to a wedding reception in Tarrytown NY on Friday night. 'Heard two
terms that could fall into this category, may (in one or both instances)
be a kind of 'new speak' I'm unfamiliar with, OR might even reflect how
much alcohol was being consumed:
1)  Speaking of an after effect of his company's and another's merger,
    the guy said some assets were "being liquefied".
2)  Addressing a couple of young ladies attempting to enter the reception
    area when everyone else was leaving it, heading into the dining room,
    the guy told them they were "going against the grain".

I find it odd (and even a bit hair-raising) to think of companies involved
with software 'liquifying' assets.
Had the remark to the girls been made during the cocktail hour, when they
were insisting on drinking wine when everyone else was drinking spirits, it
would have been accurate, in a manner of speaking, to say they were going
against the grain. Of course it also would have been appropriate then, as it
would have been when the remark was made, to say they were going against the
flow -- which, obviously, is what was meant.
(the other) doug