more excrescent "'s"

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Mon Apr 30 13:05:01 UTC 2007

"How comes?" (with its 300,000+ Google hits--not all of them pertinent, of course): perhaps an ellipsis of the idiom "How comes it that . . .?"

OED's definition of "how come?" implies an origin of the phrase: "how did (or does) it come about (that)?"

Curiously, OED says the phrase is "orig. U.S.," citing Bartlett's _Dictionary of Americanisms_ (1848). However, Bartlett's entry (a portion not quoted by the OED) says, "Doubtless an English phrase, brought over by the original settlers . . ."!

Ignoring the form of the verb, Bartlett gives the meaning of "how come?" as "How came it?"

--Charlie