MILF (was Re: change from the bottom up)

David Bowie db.list at PMPKN.NET
Mon Apr 30 17:37:13 UTC 2007

From:    James Harbeck <jharbeck at SYMPATICO.CA>
 > Scot LaFaive wrote:

>> For me, I think I've heard MILF spoken out almost exclusively as "mom" not
>> "mother."

> I find this interesting. It's not my experience -- rather the
> opposite. And I had always assumed that it was a phrase modelled on
> the venerable "motherfucker."

I'm not sure that that's terribly likely, either from meaning or sound.
Meaning: Motherfucker is (usually) used pejoratively, while MILF is
(usually) used in praise. Sound: If MILF could stand for "mother i'd
like to fucker" (or, presumably, "...fuck 'er") i could see the
parallel, but i don't think i've ever heard a hint of that.

<David does quick googling/>

1 hit each for "mother i'd like to fuck her" and "mother id like to fuck
her", none for any other possibilities i could think of (excluding 1 hit
where the "er" wasn't English).

> A Google poll gets me 32,500 for full-phrase "mother i'd like to
> fuck" and 11,700 for "mom i'd like to fuck"; {"mom i'd like to" MILF}
> gets 13,800, and {"mother i'd like to" MILF} gets 32,700, meaning
> that there are more instances where the vulgarity is left out of the
> explanation that use "mom" than that use "mother", but otherwise
> "mother" is roughly triple "mom".

Weird, at least given my experience. Scrolling through, though, i think
that the count for the mother variant is inflated somewhat (though not
by 20k, certainly) by instances in which the word "mother" is the final
word of a clause preceding a clause beginning "i'd like to fuck [X]",
and a few in which "mother" is used as an interjection.

Also, scanning the first hundred hits for each of these, it seems like
(disclaimer: I did no careful counting at all) the mother variant is
more likely to appear on professional(?--can't think of a better word)
sites.

Makes me wish i could do a Google search of USENET and cut out the parts
of the alt.sex.* hierarchy where advertising might occur--but i can't
figure out how to do that, if it's even possible.

--
David Bowie                               University of Central Florida