"Trolling" for "Trawling": An Eggcorn? (UNCLASSIFIED)

Wed Aug 1 13:31:26 UTC 2007

Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

I'm not sure I agree with his premise.  "Trolling" is a legit fishing
term.  You use a trolling motor on a bass boat to slowly explore
specific areas of a lake looking for productive areas.  Likewise,
trolling for votes, dollars, etc. seems an attributive sense of the same
word.

(Maybe the fishing usage of "trolling" came from "trawling".)

I first heard trolling in an attributive sense by someone who was going
to the mall to troll for women.