Sure don't

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Aug 1 16:35:18 UTC 2007

FWIW, my impression is that I was not familiar with "Sure don't" in NYC.  When I noticed it in Tennessee in 1974 I first thought it was meant humorously.

  JL

Beverly Flanigan <flanigan at OHIO.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Beverly Flanigan
Subject: Re: Sure don't

It's common here in southern Ohio too (South Midland/Appalachian), and with
all the verbs mentioned (including 'won't' and 'can't'). But I wonder if I
haven't heard/said this usage all my life, in Minnesota too? Or maybe
that's Arnold's misremembering again.

It only follows a negative statement though, as you both have pointed out,
unlike the New England "So don't I" in response to a positive
statement. Since no one responded to my query about "so don't I" possibly
following a negative statement as well, I assume it wouldn't? Except in
the form "Neither do I," I assume.

Beverly