Beertail (beer cocktail)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Aug 2 05:04:30 UTC 2007

BEERTAIL--166 Google hits
BEERTAILS--310 Google hits
_http://www.nysun.com/article/59604_ (http://www.nysun.com/article/59604)
Beverage Rules, Shaken & Stirred
By NANCY DAVIDSON
August 1, 2007
(...)
At Hill Country (30 W. 26th St., between  Broadway and Sixth Avenue,
212-255-4544), the Michaelita, named after owner Marc  Glosserman’s father,
incorporates Tecate beer, tequila, Worcestershire sauce,  Tabasco sauce, lime juice and
Hill Country’s barbecue dry rub on the rim instead  of salt ($7). Hill Country
also makes another “beertail,” a growing category of  cocktails with a beer
base. Like everything in the new barbecue joint, the Lone  Star Punch ($7) is
a tribute to Texas. It’s made with Tito’s Handmade Vodka from  Austin, lemon
juice, Lone Star beer and a splash of grenadine. Like the others,  it’s served
on the rocks.
_http://www.liquorsnob.com/archives/2005/09/what_do_you_call_beer_cocktails_be
ertails_cockbeers.php_
(http://www.liquorsnob.com/archives/2005/09/what_do_you_call_beer_cocktails_beertails_cockbeers.php)

September 25, 2005

What do you call Beer Cocktails? Beertails? Cockbeers?

We're seeing articles all over the InterWeb saying beer cocktails are the
next big thing. Actually, we've got to say we're a bit worried about the
sissification of booze nationwide, what with those lemonadey malt beverages and
flavored vodkas and whatnot. Whatever happened to paying for your buzz with a
grimace and a shudder? We've been mixing beer and liquor together for
years...it's called a _boilermaker_
(http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/foodscpe/resources/cocktails/boilmake.html) .
Anyway, we're off on a tangent again. Apparently "beertails" have made a big
splash this summer, and continue to be hot. We found the beertail recipes
below  at _That's the Spirit_
(http://www.thatsthespirit.com/en/beer/beer_cocktails.asp) . If nothing else, most of them look  like good hangover remedies.
The Classic Shandy:
Background: Both the American  Heritage Dictionary and UK legislation have
defined the "shandy", short for  "shandygaff," as a mixture of beer and ginger
beer, ginger ale or lemonade. This  drink gives all the pleasures of beer with
the refreshment of lemonade - a  tangy, tasty drink.
This old English tradition dates back to the 17th century. Although the
origin is not clearly known, some believe that is was named after a local  English
pub where the beer was not of the best quality and was "flavored" with a
sweet lemon mixture.
Fill a pilsner or beer mug with lager and top with ginger ale, ginger beer or
 lemonade. If you are a bit more adventurous, try a Shandy with limeade.
Don't be  afraid to add ice to this drink. You can't do that with your beer.
More Beertail Recipes:
Lager and lime: Add a  dash of lime juice or lime cordial to a light lager.
Snakebite: Mix your favorite beer (usually a heavier beer, like  stout [in
the LS offices we use Guinness]) half and half with cider.
Black Velvet: Mix stout and champagne, half and half.
Beer Bloody Mary: Mix beer and tomato juice, half and half. Add a  dash of
Tabasco and a dash of Worcestershire.
Red Eye: Add a shot of tomato juice to any ale or lager (this  cocktail is
also known as Tomato Beer or a Red Rooster). If you add a splash of  Tabasco,
the drink becomes a Ruddy Mary.
Liverpool kiss: Mix a dark beer with Cassis.
BeeSting: Dark beer and orange juice.
Skip and go naked: Combine beer, lemon juice and gin, with a dash of
grenadine.
Broadway: Popular in Japan, mixing beer and cola is known as a  Broadway
Caribbean Night: Beer and an ounce of coffee liqueur.
South Wind: Beer with a shot of melon liqueur.