A dialect split

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Aug 2 20:56:10 UTC 2007

Beverly wrote:

"Actually, Trudgill only cites one song from Dylan, and it's neither of the
two I cited above."

I was caught off-guard by "... neither of the
_two_ I cited ..."

As I read along, I was fully expecting "... neither of the
_ones that_ I cited ..."

Now that my internal grammar has had a chance to wrestle with it, it
recognizes Beverly's locution as perfectly grammatical. But, for a
moment, there, it freaked.

-Wilson
-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens