[Fwd: text messaging]

Joan H. Hall jdhall at WISC.EDU
Thu Aug 2 21:22:19 UTC 2007

If anyone would like to talk with Dave about this, please contact him
directly.
Thanks.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        text messaging
Date:   Thu, 02 Aug 2007 17:00:28 -0400
From:   Dave Tobin <dtobin at Syracuse.com>
To:     jdhall at wisc.edu

Hi Joan -

I'm a reporter at The Post Standard in Syracuse, Ny.

I'm working on a story about text-messaging, and I'm struck by how the
shorthand or abbreviations used in cell phone texting, or in instant
messaging, are driving a language change.

Have you noted this?  Could you speak to this phenomena, or recommend
someone who could?

Sometimes the new texted words are phonetic versions of a dialect, which
also happen to be a few letters shorter - for instance probably becoming
"prolly".

Some times they are acronyms of several words. BTW from 'by the way'.

(A few years ago I spoke to you regarding a story on the local
regionalisms for soft drinks, soda vs pop. You were very helpful. Thank you.

Dave Tobin
315.470.3277