" Olive, the other reindeer"; was Re: "Trolling" for "Trawling": An Eggcorn?

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Aug 2 23:13:28 UTC 2007

Attack of the "awe" droppers.  They substitute the sound "ah" for "awe"
wherever it occurs, and thus "all of" becomes "ah luv" (Olive).  They must
be stopped.

See truespel.com - and the 4  truespel books plus "Occasional Poems" at
authorhouse.com.

>From: Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM>
>To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
>Subject: Re: " Olive,              the other reindeer"; was Re: "Trolling"
>for "Trawling": An              Eggcorn?
>Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 15:05:05 -0700

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM>
>Subject:      Re: " Olive,              the other reindeer"; was Re:
>"Trolling"
>               for "Trawling": An              Eggcorn?
>
>This has got to be a joke, not a trfue misunderstanding, as the relevant
>lines are,
>
>   "All of the other reindeer,
>   Used to laugh and call him names.
>   THEY wouldn't let poor Rudolph
>   Play in any reindeer games."
>
>   Even if your own name is Olive, and all your female relatives are named
>Olive, and your favorite character is Olive Oyl, you will understand "all
>of" as  meaning "all of," at least if your attention span is long enough to
>get to the operative pronoun.
>
>   Though you might pretend otherwise.
>
>   JL
>Charles Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU> wrote:
>   ---------------------- Information from the mail header
>Sender: American Dialect Society
>Poster: Charles Doyle
>Subject: Re: " Olive, the other reindeer"; was Re: "Trolling" for
>"Trawling": An Eggcorn?
>
>Wilson, it's "All of the other reindeer," mumbled by those sad folks bereft
>of the "open o."
>
>--Charlie

Tease your brain--play Clink! Win cool prizes!