"certain" in The First Noel

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Aug 3 00:54:40 UTC 2007

We're not the only ones who've been wondering.  I
found a number of threads on various user groups
on this, including such remarks as the following:

==============
This has always bothered me a bit...

: : : : : : : "The first Noel, The angels did say
: : : : : : : was to certain poor shepherds,
: : : : : : : in fields as they lay..."

: : : : : : : Does this mean 'certain shepherds'
as opposed to certain *other* shepherds? Is is an
archaic verb? Is is just the way lyrics are
sometimes?

: : : : : : : This has been preying on my mind
for decades. Some times I wake up and night and
wonder. Many thanks in advance for any insights.
==============
When I was a child, the song "The First Noel" had
me thinking that the word "certain" could be a
verb. The line "The first Noel the angels did say
was to certain poor shepherds in fields where
they lay" meant to me that the poor shepherds
were uncertain about something, so the angels
came to "certain" them, that is, to make them
certain.
==============
I used to believe "certain" (used as a verb) was
an uber-secret religious ritual performed on
reluctant shepherds. I knew this because it said
so in the song. "The First Noel the Angels did
say, was to certain poor shepherds in field where
they lay."
==============

I was going to suggest another analysis of that
line, taking "was to certain poor shepherds" to
represent an old dative-possessive construction.
This allows us the retention of the parenthetical
analysis of "the angels did say", viz.

According to what the angels said, the first Noël
belonged to certain poor shepherds....

Unlikely (espcially if "No(w)el(l)" really was an
interjection, hence forcing a mention rather than
use interpretation), but perhaps not impossible.

LH

P.S.  I love the "Oh well, oh well" version.