" Olive, the other reindeer"; was Re: "Trolling" for "Trawling": An Eggcorn?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Aug 4 16:26:35 UTC 2007

At 9:13 AM -0700 8/4/07, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>I was scarred - I can remember lying awake waiting for the ax to
>fall - but I never had a problem parsing "now I lay me."
>
>   JL

Right; the scary line was definitely "If I should die before I wake"
(whether or not you understood this to imply postmortem zombiehood)
rather than the "Now I lay me down to sleep" opener, although I
suppose some proto-Chomskyan youngsters might have been kept awake by
the horrors of Principle B being violated.

LH