Sure don't

Montgomery Michael ullans at YAHOO.COM
Sun Aug 5 01:57:56 UTC 2007

I've done a little testing of "sure" + negatives and
present the findings below, based on the ears of two
people, me and a friend who is a life-long resident of
lower South Carolina.  For me the response with "sure"
+ negative is fine following five different syntactic
patterns, for six different auxiliaries.  For my
friend, they are as well, but in response to the c and
d sentences below she is more comfortable with, e.g.
"No, he doesn't" rather than "He sure doesn't" for 1c
and 1d.  Ditto for all six sets for her.  Larry, as
the negation-meister, can you explain?

The intonation for "sure" + negative responses is for
us usually 233, 334, or 234, always with a
rising-falling contour on the final segment.  It is
this contour with a high pitch (level 4) that is
probably what threw Lise Winer off in southern
Illinois.  She was used to that that intonation with
affirmatives, to express approval, but it did not
compute for a salesperson to respond that "we sure
don't" have a certain product.

Michael

1 a He doesn’t understand.      He sure doesn’t.
  b He doesn’t understand, does he?      "
  c He sure doesn’t understand.          "
  d He sure doesn’t understand, does he? "
  e Does he understand?                  "

2 a We haven't seen the last of him.   We sure
haven’t.
  b We haven’t seen the last of him, have we?      "
  c We sure haven't seen the last of him.          "
  d We sure haven't seen the last of him, have we? "
  e Have we seen the last of him?                  "

3 a They aren't telling the truth.    They sure
aren’t.
  b They aren’t telling the truth, are they?       "
  c They sure aren't telling the truth.            "
  d They sure aren't telling the truth, are they?  "
  e Are they telling the truth?                    "

4 a She won’t make that mistake again.  She sure won’t.
  b She won’t make that mistake again, will she?   "
  c She sure won’t make that mistake again.        "
  d She sure won’t make that mistake again, will she?
"
  e Will she make that mistake again?              "

5 a They shouldn’t be doing that.  They sure
shouldn’t.
  b They shouldn’t be doing that, should they?      "
  c They sure shouldn’t be doing that.              "
  d They sure shouldn’t be doing that, should they? "
  e Should they be doing that?                      "

6 a He can’t carry a tune.      They sure can’t.
  b He can’t carry a tune, can he?                  "
  c He sure can’t carry a tune.                     "
  d He sure can't carry a tune, can he?             "
  e Can he carry a tune                             "